MENTAL MULTIPLICATIONS - Ten Mental multiplication of two numbers whose digits are fixed for the concerned competition.
(There can be more than one attempt in this category with different sets of questions each time if time permits)
|Number of Task
|Mental Multiplication (5 digits by 5 digits)
|Mental Multiplication (8 digits by 8 digits)
Software: MEMORIAD™ Competition Software
- Ten questions of random two numbers whose digits are fixed for the concerned competition are generated by MEMORIAD™ Competition Software.
- All numbers are chosen randomly and each number should be eight-digit (so there will be no numbers the first digit of which is zero).
- The answer must be the product of the numbers given.
- As the competitors make the mental multiplication, they can write the last result of the multiplication from right to left or from left to right in order. However, while the multiplication is carried out in mind, any clue information cannot be written anywhere.
- Even though a competitor is free to use the full calculation time, using less time is important if all ten operations are correct. If all ten tasks are correct, the one who used the shortest time is the winner.
- As soon as the competitor finishes his/her calculations, he/she must stop the calculation timer. When he/she stops the timer, the software closes the calculation stage and shows the calculation results and the score of that competitor on his/her screen (*).
- The competitor has three minutes to check his/her answers and mistakes when his/her calculation stage ends. Beyond that time software closes the result screen automatically.
- After completing the task, the competitor must wait silently until other competitors complete their tasks.
- If not all ten multiplications are correct, his/her calculation time is considered as the full time given, no matter how much time he/she used for his/her calculation.
- When the full time is over, the software automatically ends the calculation stages of those who have not finished their calculation stages yet and shows the calculation results of them on their screens. The competitors have three minutes time to check their answers and mistakes. Beyond that time the software closes the result screen automatically (*).
(*) Memoriad™ Committee may decide to announce the all results after the end of the calculation stage for all competitors.
- "1" point is given for each correct answer.
- It does not matter how many wrong or correct digits are present if the answer is wrong. Therefore, partial points are not involved in these categories.
- If the competitor completes his/her answers by using less time than the time given, then the time used is recorded by the software. This process applies only when there is an equality among the numbers of the correct answers of the competitors.
- If a competitor's number of correct answer is less than number of task, his/her calculation time is accepted as the full task time. The following formula is used by MEMORIAD™ Software to calculate the scores;
Points = c x T / t
t = calculation time in seconds
T = full task time
c = the number of correct answer
- In this category there can be more than one attempt. If more than one attempt are made, the best score obtained from all attempts counts.
- In case of a tie, the second best scores that are not equal decide the winner.